Warren County Public Schools  |  Skip to Content


English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Frequently Asked Questions


1)  How do I contact my child’s school?

The quickest way, via the web, is to click on this link to the school web sites.

Warren County Schools 



A.S. Rhodes Elementary (540) 635-4556

E. Wilson Morrison Elementary (540) 635-4188

Hilda J. Barbour Elementary (540) 622-8090

Leslie Fox Keyser Elementary (540) 635-3125

Ressie Jeffries Elementary (540) 636-6824

Warren County Middle School (540) 635-2194

Skyline High School (540) 631-0366

Warren County High School (540) 635-4144

2) Who do I contact if I have a question or a concern about my child’s classroom or school?

All of us within the school system encourage a high level of parental involvement. Generally speaking, if your question involves your child’s classroom, begin by talking with your child’s teacher. If the question is more school related please contact the school principal. If you are not sure who to talk to, please call the School Board Office at 635-2171. We will help you find the person you need.


3) What will my child learn while attending Warren County Public Schools?

Talking with your child’s teacher is the best way to discover what your child will be learning. 

For general information about the Standard’s of Learning go to this Virginia Department of Education link,

SOL Information

or go to the VDoE link to show an overview of each grade level or subject area.  The subjects are on the right under "instruction".

VDoE School Subject Information


4) What is an SOL?

SOL stands for Standard of Learning. 

The state of Virginia adopted a state wide curriculum, called the Standard of Learning. 

Every public school in Virginia is responsible for helping every child learn this core curriculum. Each spring all 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders take a series of tests to check their progress on learning the SOL’s. Passing or not passing SOL tests at these levels does not necessarily mean they pass or fail that grade level. These tests are also a check on how well each school is helping all children learn.


When a child reaches high school they will take SOL tests for number of their school courses. At this level, passing these tests has a direct bearing on the student graduating high school. Students will have multiple opportunities to pass the SOL tests at this level.


If you have further questions regarding SOLs please talk with your child’s school, or call the School Board Office at 635-2171. We will be happy to answer your questions.


5) How do I register my child for school?

If your child is entering Kindergarten please click on this link.

Kindergarten Registration

If your child is transferring from another school you should go directly to the school your child will attend to register them for school. 


6) How do I know what elementary school my child will attend?

School attendance is based on where the child’s primary residence is located. 

Click on this link to find out which school your child will attend.

Attendance Zones

We do our best to have all students attend the school in the zone where they live. This helps us keep our class sizes at appropriate instructional levels.


7) What does a "State Accredited School" mean?

For a school to be State Accredited the school must meet the following criteria:

Elementary Schools

75% of 3rd and 5th graders must pass the English SOL test

70% of 3rd and 5th graders must pass the Math SOL test

70% of 5th graders must pass Science and History SOL tests

50% of 3rd graders must pass Science and History SOL tests




Secondary Schools 70% of all students must pass English, Math, Science and History tests



8) How do the SOL’s affect graduation requirements?

The Virginia Department of Education has put together a list of FAQs that answer many questions related to graduation. 

Please look at these questions and answers.

VA Department of Education FAQs


If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact your child’s school or the School Board Office: 635-2171. We will be happy to answer your questions.





1)  How do I know what bus my child will ride?

At the beginning of each year the bus routes are listed in the paper. If you need information during the school year call 636-2600.


2)  When do children get picked up and dropped off when riding the bus?

To find out specific information about a bus call 636-2600.





1)  What is the role of school psychologists? 

The school psychologist conducts psychological assessments, facilitates eligibility meetings, participates as a team player on child study teams, consults with parents, students, and school personnel, provide short-term counseling, and provide county wide in-services for school personnel.


2)  What components are included in a psychological assessment? 

The components differ depending on the reason for referral in each individual case. Typical assessments include measures of cognitive functioning, visual-motor skills, social-emotional measures, and behavioral observations. The teacher and/or parent may be asked to supply additional information if needed.




1)  If I submit an application for a specific Instructional Assistant or Secretarial position and I don't get the position do I have to submit a new application for each position I am interested in?

You do not have to submit an application for each position. Applications for employment are kept on file for one calendar year by position applied for and each time a vacancy occurs the applications are reviewed by the hiring administrator and/or the personnel director.


2)  Will I be considered for a position based on the submission of a letter of interest and a             resume`?

No, in order to be considered for any position an employment application must be on file in the personnel office.


3)  How do I apply to become a substitute teacher?

You must be a high school graduate and submit an application for employment along with 3 letters of reference.


4)  If I submit an application this year will I need to submit a new application next year?

No, you can call the personnel office after January 1 and ask that your application be pulled for consideration for three next year. You may also want to send a letter updating the information contained on the application.


5)  I am considering a career in teaching. What are the requirements?

There is a link on the Employment page that will take you to the Va. Dept. of Education website where you can find that information.

Pin It

210 North Commerce Avenue | Front Royal, VA 22630 | phone (540) 635-2171 | fax (540) 636-4195

Copyright © 2013, Warren County Public Schools. All Rights Reserved.